Hospital services began in Biloxi around 1903 when Minnie Boykin, a Methodist missionary, cared for the poverty stricken in her home on W. Howard and Claiborne.
In 1908, Dr. H.M. Folkes and local people organized the Biloxi Charity Association which operated a sanitarium with a capacity for 12 patients at 1304 W. Beach.
In 1919, Harry T. Howard offered his spacious summer home at 401 E. Beach to expand the facilities and to care for paying as well as charity patients. Community organizations donated funds to convert the home to a hospital and provide the necessary equipment. A nursing home was established.
In 1928, construction began on a new 3 story brick and concrete facility on the Howard property. It was built with private funds totaling $125,000. The dedication was held on July 3, 1929.
The bed capacity was increased to 60 through further generosity of the Howard family and a bequest by Captain John Miller.
In 1936, the hospital was incorporated and chartered as the New Biloxi Hospital. Another annex increased the bed capacity to 100.
The sisters of St. Francis of Glen Riddle operated the hospital from January 1946 to October 1947. A nurses home was built to accommodate 30 to 40 nurses. In 1947, the Biloxi Hospital reverted back to a private, non-sectarian corporation.
In March 1963, Howard Memorial Hospital was built at 1550 Lafayette Street overlooking Back Bay. The 5th floor was added in 1975 to increase bed capacity to 200.
The old facility at 401 E. Beach became the Gulf Coast Convalescent Center which operated until October 31, 1979. It was renovated in October 1984 and opened as the Biloxi Regional Outreach, a treatment center for recovery from alcohol and drug abuse. On June 1, 1986, it was leased to South Mississippi Health Services (Forrest General Hospital) and operated under the name of Bienville Recovery Center.
October 1, 1981, Howard Memorial officially became Biloxi Regional Medical Center after forming a new corporation and entering into a management contract with Methodist Management, Inc. of Memphis, TN.
January 15, 1985, site preparation was initiated on the multi-million dollar replacement facility at 150 Reynoir Street in downtown Biloxi. Patients were moved to the new facility October 13, 1986 and dedication ceremonies were October 26, 1986.
Today, Biloxi Regional Medical Center is a 198 bed acute care private facility. The six story facility of 170,000 square feet has all private rooms including private showers and spectacular views of Biloxi and the gulf. The project was financed by a combination of tax-exempt revenue bonds and local privately arranged funding. Local citizens share no obligation, as the bonds are not general obligation bonds.
The board, administration and staff of Biloxi Regional Medical Center are proud to continue the tradition of excellent health care; provide the latest and most advanced medical equipment and technology; develop new and innovative health care programs for our patients and the community; and continue our long tradition of caring.
For more information, call (228) 436-1690.